Garden Etiquette and Rules
Please help us protect and maintain the Garden for all of our many visitors by observing the following:
FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF ALL
- Help us to preserve the beauty of the Gardens for everyone by refraining from picking flowers, walking through beds, and climbing the trees or on boulders.
- Do not collect or remove seeds, flowers, fruits and vegetables, plant labels, etc.
- Visitors are welcome to take photos for personal use.
- Professional Photo Sessions (Senior portraits, engagements, weddings, family photos etc.) must be scheduled in advance with the office. Please see our Photo Policy for fee structure and to submit a date request form.
ATTIRE AND CLOTHING CHANGES
- Shirts and shoes are required at all times. In respect to all Garden visitors, patrons wearing articles of clothing that may be taken as offensive will not be allowed to enter.
- Clothing changes are only allowed in conjunction with a paid photoshoot or wedding and MUST be done in the restrooms.
- Clothing changes for small children are permitted only in restroom stalls.
WILDLIFE AND ANIMALS
- Pets are allowed at the Gardens as long as they remain on a leash. Also, please clean up after your pet. There are several pet stations throughout the Gardens and the Longleaf Forest.
- Do not feed or handle the wildlife. It can be harmful to them – and you.
- Light collapsible chairs or stools (no lawn chairs) are permitted for artists at work. Please position chairs in a grassy area or large paved area so walkways remain clear. Do not enter planted or mulched beds. Watercolor artists, please dispose of waste water carefully in sinks; do not dispose on walkways, benches rocks, plants or garden areas, as they can become discolored.
- MBG has a Sketch Club that meets every Friday from 2pm-4pm. Everyone is welcome! General admission for those who are not members of MBG.
SMOKING AND LITTER
- MBG is a tobacco-free environment. Smoking and tobacco products and devices are strictly prohibited on Garden property, including all buildings, grounds, restrooms and parking lots.
- We care about the environment. Please dispose of waste in receptacles when appropriate. Do not litter.
- A picnic at the Gardens is a lovely thing! You are welcome to place a blanket on grassy areas or eat at any of the picnic tables located in the Gardens and Longleaf Forest. Please dispose of all trash in nearby trashcans.
- Absolutely no alcohol is allowed.
MEETINGS AND GATHERINGS
- Formal/informal groups or parties are not allowed to hold meetings, weddings, memorial services, etc at MBG without advance coordination or rental. Visit Rentals for more information.
- All groups wishing to hold either a MBG-led or self-guided class or tour must register with the office in advance of their visit by completing the online request form.
- MBG is a walking garden – wear sensible clothing and shoes.
- Do not wade or swim in ponds, streams or fountains.
- Please keep your personal items with you at all times. MBG cannot be held responsible for missing items. If you recover an item on the grounds that does not belong to you, please turn it in to the office or to the gate ambassador on duty.
- For their safety, please supervise children at all times. One adult should accompany every four children.
- No climbing, running, sports, or games.
- No bikes, skates or skateboard, please. They may be left in front of the office or with the gate attendant while visiting.
- Weapons and firearms are not permitted at MBG
The rights of other visitors to enjoy the Garden must always be respected. The Garden reserves the right to ask a visitor to leave for inappropriate or offensive behavior or attire. Visitors will be held liable for any damage to Garden property. Garden property includes the grounds, buildings, parking lots and other facilities. Anyone not in compliance with this policy will be told to leave the premises.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.